A Quick refrigeration Check
Each year at the start of calving, we have a number of refrigeration callouts that could be avoided with a bit of prep work.
Here is a quick check you can perform before milk hits the vat to ensure a smooth start to the new season:
- Fill the vat with enough water to cover the agitator paddle.
- Turn on the refrigeration.
- Check that the thermostat is working.
- Check that the vat refrigeration unit starts and at least one fan is running.
- If you have more than one fan and the second fan isn’t running, this does not necessarily indicate a fault, it could simply be that the ambient temperature isn’t high enough.
- Watch the vat thermostat to see if the temperature is dropping while the vat refrigeration unit is running.
- The refrigeration unit should turn off once the desired temperature is achieved (4–5 °C).
A TIP FOR THOSE NEW TO THE DAIRY IINDUSTRY
It is normal to have low milk volumes for the first 4-5 days of milking, so you will need to manually control your refrigeration. We recommend turning on your refrigeration unit at the end of milking to reduce the risk of milk freezing.